Wednesday, September 10, 2008

School is in session!

I am officially a student in France! Class started on Monday, I am taking four classes this semester.

Monday and Wednesday morning I have conversation followed by grammar. My conversation teacher is actually a little freaky looking. He has these really blue eyes and almost translucent skin with dark hair. Today we read an article about how the French are as tourists, he was bopping around the room asking us if we thought this article was true or false. My grammar teacher has the craziest hair, it sticks out from everywhere! She is soo French! Her favorite color is purple, and without fail, everyday she wears something purple. The grammar class is actually really helpful, we are going over things we learned in high school but in new ways. Just like we have little tricks to remember things in English (i before e except after c...etc) the French have the same thing. I really like learning this way.

Tuesday afternoons I have an education seminar. It is three hours, which is so incredibly long. The first class was so hard, the professor speaks so fast and when she slurs her words together it is almost impossible to figure out what she is saying. The class will be great because for six weeks we are teaching English in the Parisian suburbs to teenagers who want to get into the tourism industry. I will be working with a teacher, creating lesson plans, then teaching by myself four lessons over five weeks. I will keep everyone posted on the progress.

Thursday afternoons I have a French culture class, I have not had this class yet, so I don't know anything about it, but I will let everyone know how it goes tomorrow. All of my classes are in French, as a result I have to sign a contract that says I will only speak French at the center, most of the students aren't taking all of their classes in French so they don't have to sign this contract. Most of my friends are able to speak English so they have been teasing me that they will be able to speak English to me and I will have to respond in French. Things are going well, I am excited to have things more in order now. Love from Paris...

No comments: