I moved in with Madame Levy today...I think this has topped all scary days. As my luck, it was quite the adventure! There is another girl in the program named Sara Cook, they of course mixed up our cabs. So I got a call from the cab company telling me I was in the wrong cab and that I did it all wrong. I told the dispatcher that I was already in the cab and on my way, so he called the cab driver and I guess what happened was that the man who had my information and the cab driver who ended up actually taking me just switched. The cab ride wasn't that long, but we were barricaded in by everyone else's taxis; and he of course had the meter running which I didn't know until we left the hotel. What really made me mad about this driver was that the meter made the fare was 27 Euros...he charged me 30! Needless to say...that was his tip! He took my bags out of the car, put them in the road and left. So there I was trying to get my two heavy suitcases, a carry-on bag, backpack, laundry bag, and purse up to my apartment. By the time I got everything in I was exhausted! It took me a little bit to figure out the security system in my apartment building, but eventually I figured it out.
Madame Levy (Michelle) lives on the fourth floor. Little known fact, in France that is actually the fifth floor, all buildings start with zero instead of one. She seems very nice, she showed me right to my room so that I could put all my things down. Her apartment is very hard to describe...I told my friend Margaret that it is a cross between eclectic, Victorian, and the 70s. My room has a fire place which is neat (even though it doesn't work). I have my own 1/2 bath with a sink, and I share the shower room with Michelle. I think many of you will appreciate my "closet" and I use the term loosely. There is a small cabinet in the bathroom for towels, that is my closet! Not exactly what I am used to, but at least everything fits! Michelle made me lunch and we chatted for a bit, she seems very nice. She is retired, she was a mathematician and now she teaches philosophy once a week on Mondays. She enjoys reading and is in a book club. The good news is that she has hosted American students for the past 7 years, but I am her first student with the program I am studying with. She said something about getting another student from another program...so I will see what happens with that. I wonder if I will have to share my "closet?"
In terms of internet, I think I am getting wifi! I am not positive but we were talking about it today. I will let everyone know if I do, at any rate it wouldn't be until next week. McDonald's in Paris all have free wireless internet, so I am sitting in this huge McDonald's drinking Evian water and using their internet! I miss you all so much! Love from Paris...
No comments:
Post a Comment