Monday, September 1, 2008

My first "Ah-ha" moment!

For those of you who aren't Oprah watchers, she has this theory where something becomes clear to you and she calls it her ah-ha moment. Well, I am excited to report that I had my first (of I hope many) ah-ha moments today! I said goodbye to my friends at the Grands Boulevard metro stop outside our school (they were going shopping, I needed to do a few things in a different neighborhood) I walked to my train, got on and started listening to my iPod. Now, I know this doesn't sound like a big deal, but I had to transfer trains, so I got off the first train and I was walking to my second when I realized that I was (a) listening to my favorite song (b) walking fast to make the train like the Parisians do and (c) walking around people, so they were getting out of my way! It was in that moment, going to my second train that I had the ah-ha moment. I am really here! I am living for the next year in one of the most amazing cities in the world. I can't express to all of you how happy I am to be here. I have made some great friends, last night some of us were sitting in our room and we made a list of all the places we want to go to together.

Anyways, I started the Intensive Language Program today, it really wasn't very intense, just long. I also didn't think that my level was very hard, so I am interested to see if they move me up a level. My instructor's name is Lucie, and she actually did her PhD at the University of Delaware. Real classes start next Monday, so until then I only have class until 12:30p everyday! We are going to be spending our afternoons exploring different parts of the city, today we are going to the Galleries Lafayette, a huge department store not too far from school. Okay, I am off to explore. Love from Paris...

No comments: