Friday, January 30, 2009

Jeudi noir...code for getting the day off



So yesterday was the big "jeudi noir" that everyone had been talking about. The French do their rioting and picketing a little differently from the Americans. It seems that the entire country got together and created this giant boycott. All across France people that work in the public sector (teachers, factory workers, etc.) didn't go to work and instead "rioted" in their respective cities. I was so excited for this big "jeudi noir," we had been getting emails all week about what to expect and how there would delays everywhere. There were signs in the metro warning about metro delays and closeings and the center even sent us emails telling us to make sure we had good walking shoes because we would be walking to class (luckily I don't have class on Thursday, oh yea by the way Jeudi means Thursday). Katharine had been up early scooping out the riots and called to tell me everyone was on the move. So I headed out to Republique to see what this jeudi noir was all about; but before I left Michele warned me to be careful and if it gets bad run to the nearest side street. So I am thinking this is going to be great, as I make my way out of the metro I can hear more people then usual; again, still thinking this thing is going to be great! I finally get out in the Place de la Republique and wouldn't you know, PEOPLE ARE JUST HANGING OUT! No big rioting, no one is taunting the police, they are just talking, some are eating pain au chocolats and drinking coffee. I thought this was supposed to be such a big French thing, speaking up for what you believe in and all that, but really they just wanted to day off.

I do understand the message of the whole thing, pain au chocolats and all...and for that I admire the French people. They have an incredible ability to stand up for what they feel is right; in fact, they "manifesting" is a huge part of French culture. You learn new things everyday I suppose! Love from Paris...

No comments: