Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Spanish Experience: Madrid


This is the first week back after our fall break, it is a little difficult to get back in the swing of things! During this fall break my friends and I took at 10 day trip across Spain, we started in Madrid then traveled to Valencia and ended our time in Barcelona. I think I will blog about the trip in parts because if I just did one big entry it would be long and I am sure everyone would get bored!

We flew to Madrid on Halloween, there were tons of people in the airport dressed up in costumes (a little strange I am not going to lie). We arrived in Madrid late and took the metro to our hostel. The area was great, it was right off a main plaza with great shops, restaurants, and things to see. Finding the hostel was the hard part! The sign was so hidden and small none of us could really figure out where we were supposed to be. Finally Margaret spotted the sign and we got to our room. Since it was such a long day of traveling we decided to call it a night and rest up for the next day. At around 3am our roommate came in after a night out. The room we stayed in had six beds so we knew there would be someone else staying with us. Wouldn't you know, it was a guy; and even stranger one of my friends Katharine knew him, however strangest of all...he is from Palatine! Thankfully he was really nice and patient (I can't imagine being a 20something guy and having to room with 5 girls and one bathroom)!

Saturday we got up and went to the Prado, the grounds were very impressive. I wasn't the biggest fan of the museum, they housed a lot of religious art which is not my favorite, but there is also a botanical garden on the grounds that we explored. We also did a lot of walking around and exploring the city. Madrid was a bit disappointing, it is just a big dirty city (with not nearly the charm of Paris). Although Saturday night was one of our better nights in Spain. We were walking into the hostel when a British man stopped us. He explained that every night local Spanish people take foreigners out from all the big hostels around the city. We decided it would be a great thing to try. So the 5 of us met this great Spanish girl named Hilda who took us out around Madrid, there were other people in the group as well including people from Manchester, Canada, and Brazil. It ended up being a great time, we danced the night away!

Sunday was another museum filled day, there was a really interesting temporary art exhibit about WWI going on, it was one of my favorite exhibits from our trip. The way they set it up was great, there were not only pictures and paintings but quotes and poems in 5 languages painted on the walls of the exhibit.

There really isn't much else to say about Madrid, I don't think it was as great as we were thinking. Stayed tuned for Valencia and Barcelona! Love from Paris...

No comments: